Monday 1 March 2010

Anti dandruff shampoo

My husband has had to go back to using Head & Shoulders anti-dandruff shampoo as the Lush anti-dandruff shampoo block and the Elemis shampoo that I use aren't keeping on top of his dry scalp (if you know what I mean!) I've written to Proctor & Gamble who make Head & Shoulders but from the list of ingredients (which contain the usual suspects), I'm pretty certain it isn't palm oil free. Plus an e-mail correspondent has reminded me that there are more reasons than Palm oil to buoycot P&G due to their animal testing.

So I'm on the lookout for anti-dandruff shampoo that works. I remember finding a company in Australia that did one but none of their suppliers have on-line ordering and arranging an order wasn't straightforward. It is a long way to go for shampoo! Anyway, I remembered reading recently one of the comments on http://nopalmoil.wordpress.com which said that L'Occitane's ranges (except for those containing shea butter) are palm oil free so I've written to L'Occitane using their on-line form asking them to confirm if this is the case for the following of their products that I'm interested in:
  • Anti-Dandruff Shampoo for Sensitive Scalp
  • Verbena Cleansing Hand Wash
  • Lavender Foaming Bath
There's a L'Occitane on Rose Crescent in Cambridge (just round the corner from my stall on the Craft Market) so it would be very convenient for me to buy there. Their products are quite pricey but I am willing to pay more for effective products that are palm oil free.

5 comments:

  1. Sue

    I've got Clairol Herbal Essences 'No Flakin' Way' shampoo and I've just spent ages reading the long-worded ingredients and none of the ones on your list on the left are in it.

    Having said that, it is a P&G product.

    Thought I'd let you know anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great name for shampoo! You are a treasure for checking the ingredients, I'll ask P&G about it when/if they reply to me. I'd like to have a list of alternative products to put on a Palm Oil free website that I plan to develop at some point in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. try hopes.com.au

    it has a herbal shampoo/conditioner that "removes loose dandruff and flakes. protects and soothes dry scalp"

    they use canola oil instead of palm. is this a better option?
    donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many thanks, Donna! I've e-mailed to make sure that they don't use palm oil or its derivatives in their products and enquiring if they ship to the UK. Canola oil is indeed preferable to palm oil. :-)

    ReplyDelete