Thursday 26 November 2009

A little more of a positive response from S C Johnson

S C Johnson have replied to my enquiries about whether the following products in my cleaning cupboard contain palm oil or palm oil derivitives:
  • Mr Muscle Window & Glass
  • Pledge Dust and Protect Wood Classic
  • Pledge Soapy Wood cleaner
  • Pledge Springtime Furniture Polish
  • Pledge with orange oil liquid
(Gosh, I do use alot of Pledge don't I, anyone would think I spend all day long polishing things ...!) Anyway, here's what they said:

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch with us . It is very difficult to be certain about whether or not some of SC Johnson's ingredients originate from Palm Oil. SC Johnson tries to ensure that its suppliers do not use unsustainable sources of any ingredient, but the details of each specific ingredient are difficult to obtain.

A search has been initiated to try and answer specifically your enquiry, but this could take a couple of weeks to conduct. Once we have found out the answer, we will be in touch again. Thank you again for your email .

I have thanked them and said I look forward to receiving their further reply.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Sue,

    I came across your blog while searching for articles on palm oil. I find it very interesting that you are trying to find out which products contain palm oil and use your consumer power. You must have done a lot of research on the topic.

    In our recent blog article we wrote that it is not possible to exercise consumer power, since many times the products are not labeled. The article is based on a discussion with the book author Philipp Dera, who wrote a book about the sustainability impact of palm oil certificates in the EU.

    We would be glad to hear your comments,

    Kind Regards,

    Velichka

    http://berlintalksoneconomics.blogspot.com/2009/12/palm-oil-non-sustainable-solution.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Velichka, thank you for your interest in my blog. I disagree that it is not possible to exercise consumer power. The fastest way we give up our power is to think that we don't have any. Once we give up, they have won. Better labelling would help more people to exercise their power but it's usually easy in foodstuffs particularly to spot palm oil by consulting the list of euphemisms I publish to the left. Any time I suspect a product that I use of containing palm oil, I write to the manufacturer and ask them. Sometimes I don't get a response but they are informed of my displeasure. If enough of us do the same, we will eventually force the hand of manufacturers. I have some doubts - many, in fact, on whether or not the manufacturers will respond in time to save orangutans and other wildlife as well as the people who have relied on the forests for their livelihoods for generations. If I just absolve myself of responsibility and don't do anything, then I'm part of the problem. Sorry, this sounds preachy and as if I'm telling you off, that isn't my intention. These are my true beliefs. I am sorry I don't have time to read the article by Philipp Dera today, it is the busiest time of year for my business. I will be renewing my efforts on palm oil avoidance with additional vigour in the new year.

    ReplyDelete